Cumberland may not have a view of the sea, but there was once a thriving boat building trade in town. In 1790 Alexander Thompson moved his boat building business here from Providence. By 1815 there were nineteen
businesses in the trade, building yawls, surf, and whale boats. Most of these businesses were located in Arnold Mills until about 1860 when the market for the boats died out.
Source: Cumberland by the Blackstone by David W. Balfour and Joyce Hindle Koutsogiane