In 1894 there were 16 grammar schools in Cumberland! Then in the early 1920’s the town took delivery of two school buses, which led to the closing of the one room school houses and the building of larger schools. The buses were trucks adapted for school use. One had been confiscated from rum runners in
Tiverton and still had a bullet hole in the driver’s door!
Source: Cumberland by the Blackstone
by David W. Balfour and Joyce Hindle Koutsogiane